Do I have to go to court for a misdemeanor ticket if I live out of town?

The Michigan Wolverines versus the Ohio State Buckeyes is one of the biggest rivalries in college football.  Michigan versus Michigan State is also pretty exciting.  One common problem visiting fans run into is getting a misdemeanor ticket from the Ann Arbor Police or University of Michigan Police.  To make matters worse, what do you do if you live out of town or out of state?  Do you have to return to Ann Arbor?

Some people will have to return because of the severity of the offense or the prosecuting authority.  It is possible you may not have to return, but the answers to these questions can be complicated and is unique to each situation.  The biggest things to consider are who made the arrest or issued the ticket, what the ticket is for, did you get charged with more than one offense, and is this a first offense.

Offenses like open intoxicants also known as drinking in public, and littering can usually be resolved without you having to return.  Offenses like drunk driving, assault or getting into a fight, will require you to return to Ann Arbor to face the judge in person.

Each situation is unique.  What works for some people doesn’t work for others.  I successfully handle many cases each football season where clients are charged and don’t have to return to Ann Arbor because I am able to represent them in court.  This is not possible for everyone, which is why you won’t find a solid answer in any online posts, but it is definitely possible because I help clients with this issue all the time.  Call me if you live out of town to determine if you have to appear for your criminal case in Ann Arbor.